Murray Harbour Range Lights were first established in 1869 after John Brooks and other inhabitants of the place petitioned the island's government for a grant to erect lights at the entrance of the harbour. John Chapman and James Penny were each given £10 to construct the lights, while James Penny and someone with the surname Lumsden were paid to maintain them. The original front range light consisted of a white light displayed from a post at a height of thirty feet, while the rear light, also white, was displayed from the gable of a barn located about a mile from the front light.
On June 22, 1876, William Mitchell, the agent for the Department of Marine and Fisheries on Prince Edward Island, visited the Murrary Harbour Range Lights and found that the lights were “not at all sufficient although they were being kept in good order.” No repairs were ordered at that time as a notice of tenders for new towers was expected to be published at any time. Mitchell did return in 1878 and place a new lantern on the front beacon after “hearing of the inefficiency of the outer beacon light.” Later that year, the Department at Ottawa provided plans and specifications for new range towers for which a sum of $1,500 had been appropriated.
Joseph Egan, of Mount Steward, received an $850 contract to build the long-awaited range towers for Murray Harbour. The work was started during the summer of 1878, and the range lights were completed that November.
In 1897, the timber block upon which the front tower stood had become unsafe so, as a temporary measure, the block was encased in hemlock boards before the fall gales. Large flat stones were embedded in the sand at each corner of the block, and upon these were put in place 6-inch posts. The corner posts of the tower were then bolted to these posts to hold the structure firmly in place. A new block was planned for the following year.
Arrangements were made in 1902 to reduce the height of the front range light by 3 metres (10 feet) so that the back light could be more easily distinguished.
Keeping the Murrary Harbour Rear Range Light was certainly a family affair as James Penny was keeper from 1878 to 1897, and he was followed by Robert Penny, and Robert Curtis Penny. The rear light was sometimes referred to as Penny’s Light, and the front light was also known as the Beach Light. Emerson MacLeod and Robert Curtis Penney were serving as keepers of the range lights in 1963, when the lights were electrified. They continued to serve as caretakers after electrification but at a greatly reduced salary.
The present front range light stands 7.2 metres (23.6 feet) tall, has a vertical red stripe on its seaward face, and displays a fixed red light. The companion rear range light stands 13.6 metres (44.6 feet) tall, also features a red stripe on its white tower, and exhibits a fixed red light at a focal plane of 17.8 metres (58.4 feet).