The small wooden lighthouse at the westernmost point of the Seaport, two miles upriver from Noank, was constructed in 1966 but has never been an official aid to navigation. Rather, it is a replica of the current Brant Point Lighthouse in Nantucket that was built in 1901. The Brant Point Light Station was the second to be built in New England, but numerous towers have stood on or near the point over the years.
Mystic Seaport's replica does have a genuine piece of lighthouse history - a working fourth-order Fresnel lens in its lantern room on loan from the Coast Guard.
For years, the interior of the Mystic Seaport's lighthouse was closed to the public, until in July of 2008, an exhibit called Sentinels of the Sea was opened inside the tower. This multimedia exhibition recounts the history and diversity of American lighthouses through two short films, “The Heyday of Lighthouses” and “How to Look at a Lighthouse”, which are shown on a grouping of five LCD screens.
You can get a brief look at the exhibit through the following short video: