An early surveyor noted that the "stream entering [the lake] at Pipe Village, though small and barred at the mouth, is nevertheless large enough for a harbor for boats; and a small pier at the mouth would deepen the water so that it might be entered." The surveyor's vision became reality when small Calumet Harbor was later established near the mouth of Pipe Creek.
The seventy-five-foot light tower that currently marks the entrance to Pipe Creek from Lake Winnebago was originally built as a water tower for the Fond du Lac Table Factory. In 1936, the tower was moved to Calumet Harbor where it began its second life as an observation tower and navigational aid.
By the early 1980s, the tower’s wooden staircase and observation decks had deteriorated to the point where they had to be removed. In 1992, through the joint effort of the Columbia Park Tower Fund and Fond du Lac County, the tower was restored and opened once more for climbing. Metal plaques are found by each stair, landing, and observation deck, recognizing a person or group who contributed funds for the tower. Over $53,000 was raised from the community, while the county contributed $45,000.