1837 Contracts have been entered into for building and completing the lighthouses at Cohanzy and at Egg island, by the 15th November, (instant.) previous to which no payment is to be made.
1838 Egg-island light.Light on keeper's dwelling; burns ten lamps with parabolic reflectors. The lamps badly constructed; house negligently built, and materials bad; several panes of glass in the lantern broken; the walls beginning to crack.
1863 -The sites of the light-houses at Cohansey and Egg island having been found to require considerable protection, the amounts necessary to complete the works have been asked for in a special estimate.
1866 An estimate is added to enable the board to substitute a screw-pile structure for the present light-house at Egg island. The present building, it is judged, will not remain in a serviceable condition for a much longer time than will be required to complete the structure which it is proposed to erect in its place.
1867 Authorized by act of Congress for rebuilding Egg Island Lighthouse, March 2, 1867, $15,000.
1867 Egg island.An appropriation of fifteen thousand dollars for a new lighthouse at this station is now available, and it is proposed to prepare during the coming winter all the requisite material and in the spring construct a screw-pile light-house similar to the beacon-light at Cape Henlopen.
1868 Egg island.At this station the old buildings have been taken down, and the screw-pile light-house referred to in the last annual report has been erected; a new boat-house and ways built; the boat reserved at the sale of the sloop Granite put in order and fitted with centreboard, oars and sails, for the use of the station; new lens covers, lantern curtains, and oil measures have been supplied. The light was exhibited for the first time from the new lantern on the night of July 24, and the structure was completed on the 21st of August last.
1869 Egg Island, N. J.No repairs have been made during the year, and some are needed at this time. The gradual encroachments of the water upon the site of the boat-house may render it necessary to remove the house further back next year.
1870 Egg Island, New Jersey, Delaware Bay.No repairs have, been made during the year; a new boat-house is required at a cost of about $250.
1875 Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.This station is in need of slight repairs. The site is washing away, so that ordinary high tide comes within a few feet of the building. It should be protected with stone, or additional land purchased, the cost of which, together with repairs required, would be $1,500, and an appropriation therefor is asked.
1876 Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.Four hundred and fifty perches of banking-stone have been deposited along the edge of the marsh in front of the light-house, to protect the site from the wash of the sea. This has checked, though it has not stopped, the abrasion. Additional ground adjoining the site should be purchased, and the structure moved to it. For this purpose an appropriation of $5,000 is recommended.
1877 Authorized by act of Congress for additional land at Egg Island Lighthouse, March 3, 1877, $5,000.
1877 Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.The abrasion on the beach of this station still continues. Some delay has taken place in the purchase of additional land and in the removal of the light house, for which an appropriation was made by act approved March 3, 1877, because of the difficulty of securing a valid title. The matter of examining the title and perfecting the transfer is now in the hands of the United States attorney. It is proposed to remove the light-house about 1,000 feet northeast of where it now stands. The appropriation already made will be sufficient for this purpose.
1878 Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.Legal difficulties have delayed acquisition of title to the additional land required. The lighthouse is now being removed to a secure position, which will render the station far more comfortable than heretofore.
1879 - Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.The light house was removed to a point about 1,000 feet N.N.E. from where it formerly stood. The walk from it to the old position across the marsh, and some slight repairs, will be made during the present season.
1879 Egg Island, Delaware Bay. Light-house removed to a point about 1,000 feet N. E. by N. of former position, August 20, 1878.
1880 Egg Island, on Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.A raised walk of earth was built from the station to the shore line, and the building was painted inside and out.
1883 Egg Island, on Egg Island. New Jersey.The boundaries of the site were marked with stone monuments, and various minor repairs were made.
1897 Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.The oil was moved into a rough detached shed to wait until a fireproof structure can be provided. A well was partly sunk, to be completed as soon as practicable to supplement the roof water for house use.
1902 Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey.Plans for the construction of the light-house were begun. Contract was made for erecting an iron oil house.
1903 Egg Island, Delaware Bay, New Jersey. A galvanized-iron oil house having a concrete floor and iron foundation columns was erected. A survey was made and a topographical map of the lighthouse site was plotted. The elevated boardwalk was extended to the new oil house. Various repairs were made.
1921 Egg Island Lighthouse automated.
1930s Metal skeletal tower erected near lighthouse to display a light.
1950 Egg Island Lighthouse destroyed by fire on August 20, 1950.
Keepers: Henry Rogers (1838 1846), Robert Schropshire (1846 1849), Nehemiah Tabman (1849 1853), Robert Shropshire (1853 1855), George W. Orr (1855 1861), William Garrison (1861 1865), John A. Parker (1865), Edwin Chance (1865 1868), William Whittaker (1868 1869), David Garrison (1869 1871), Thomas Shropshire (1871 1880), George Shropshire (1880 1885), Charles W. Norton (1885 1891), Daniel B. Ferguson (1891 1895), Knud Hanson (1895 1896), Frank T. Hills (1896 1898), Abram L. Yates (1898 1902), Daniel Bailey (1902 1904), Samuel Soper (1904 1906), Aaron S. Kimmey (1906 1907), William F. Spear (1907 1908), Walter Steller (1908 1909), A.S. Kimmey (1909 1911), Samuel Soper (1911), E.T. Muncey (1911).