Home Maps Resources Calendar About
Resources Calendar About
Desdemona Sands, OR  Lighthouse destroyed.   

Select a photograph to view a photo gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery

See our full List of Lighthouses in Oregon

Desdemona Sands Lighthouse

1900 — Desdemona Sands, mouth of Columbia River, Oregon.—By act approved June 6, 1900, $24,000 was appropriated for establishing a light and fog-signal station near the lower end of the Middle Ground, Desdemona Sands, mouth of the Columbia River, Oregon, in addition to the $11,000 appropriated by the act approved June 11, 1896, for Fort Stevens light and fog-signal station, which by the act of June 6, 1900, was made available for this light and fog-signal. Work will be started at once on the plans and specifications for these structures.

1901 – Desdemona Sands, Oregon.—The act approved June 6, 1900, appropriated $24,000 for establishing a light and fog-signal station near the lower end of the Middle Ground, Desdemona Sands, mouth of the Columbia River, Oregon, in addition to $11,000 appropriated by the act approved on June 11,1896, for Fort Stevens light and fog-signal station, which by act approved on June 6, 1900, was made available for this light and fog-signal. A sketch and estimate of the proposed building were made, and detailed plans and specifications are now under preparation.

1902 – Desdemona Sands, Oregon.— By the act approved on June 6, 1900, an appropriation of $24,000 was made for establishing a light and fog-signal station near the lower end of the Middle Ground. Desdemona Sands, mouth of the Columbia River. Oregon, in addition to $11,000, appropriated by the act approved June 11, 1896, for Fort Stevens light and fog-signal station, which by act approved June 6. 1900, was made available for this light and fog-signal station. Plans and specifications for the erection of the station were made in the spring of 1901. On December 28, 1901, proposals for constructing the station and for furnishing the lantern were opened. The lowest bid for erection was accepted, and contract was made on February 7, 1902. The lowest bid received for furnishing the lantern was accepted, and contract was made on February 24, 1902. The contractor for the erection of the station has finished driving the piles, and the wharf is partly built. By terms of his contract the work was to have been delivered by July 12, 1902. The contractors for furnishing the lantern have it about completed.

1903 – Desdemona Sands, Oregon.—The erection of the structures of this station was completed in November, and the light was shown on December 24, 1902, for the first time.

1903 – Desdemona Sands, Oregon.—The Daboll trumpet was in operation some 48 hours and consumed about 32 gallons of oil. This station was in operation from December 24, 1902, only.

1904 – Desdemona Sands, month of Columbia River, Oregon.—A windlass for hoisting small boats was set up. The fog-signal apparatus was repaired.

1905 – Desdemona Sands, Oregon.—Some 2,105 tons of stone riprap were placed around the outer row of piles in the wharf. Minor repairs were made.

1915 – On November 19,1914, the French bark Pierre Antonine collided with the structure of the Desdemona Sands Light Station, Oreg. Repairs were made at a cost of $541. Suit was entered against the owners of the bark and the Government reimbursed.

1933 - Electrify station, including semiautomatic control, requiring 8,000 feet of submarine cable, also the modernizing of lighting and fog signal equipment. Fog signal and lighting equipment and submarine cable purchased. Cost to June 30, 1933, $3,568.

1934 – Construct power shed for housing transformers and stand-by generator. Submarine cable for transmitting power to the light station delivered on site and power shed constructed. Cost to June 30, 1934, $5,623.

1935 – A new wood pile structure with wood framing and deck, surmounted by a wood frame tower sheathed with asbestos cement sheets was constructed. Commercial power was brought to the station by submarine cable. A semiautomatic electric operated light and fog signal was established and stand-by engine generating sets installed in a small power house on shore for emergency use. Light and fog signal are operated from shore, by remote control, by a part-time caretaker. Project completed. Total cost, $19,502.

1942 – Lighthouse superstructure was demolished.

1964 – The foundation, upon which a light beacon had been mounted, was removed.

Keepers:

  • Head: Thomas Gibson (1902 – 1903), Frank E. Wyman (1903 – 1908), Axel A. Karlson (1908 – at least 1913), Michael Ludescher (at least 1915 – at least 1924), Albert Beyer, Jr. (1925 – 1927), Gilbert H. Fulkerson (1927 – 1930).
  • Assistant: Edward J. Lawrence (1902 – 1904), Ole Olsen (1904 – 1905), Axel A. Karlson (1905 – 1906), Nils P. Adamson (1906), Iver J. Birkestol (1906 – 1907), William J. Pearson (1907 – 1908), Gust. J. Hall (1908 – 1909), Loring S. Parrott (1909), George A. Lee (1909), Earl C. Bryan (1909 – 1910), Robert McKlern (1910), Jacob Eriksen (1910 – 1911), George Policondriotes (1912 – at least 1913), William Wirta (1914 – at least 1917), Herman Johnson (at least 1919 – at least 1921), Albert Beyer, Jr. (1923 – 1925), Arvel A. Settles (1925 – 1927), Anders G. Berner (at least 1930), Roy Jacobsen (1930), John B. Bray (1930), Gordon D. Hodge (1931), Frank W. Dorrance (1931 – 1932), Winton Cole (1933), William J. Anderson (1933 – 1934)

Copyright © 2001- Lighthousefriends.com
Pictures on this page copyright National Archives, used by permission.
email Kraig