The first light on Cape North was established in 1876. This was replaced in 1908 by a metal tower
that had previously been used at Cape Race in Newfoundland. In 1978, this tower was relocated to Ottawa and replaced by the automated wooden tower shown on this page. After falling into disrepair, the wooden tower was toppled in 2010, and a light atop a square skeletal tower was established to serve mariners.