The survivors of the Granicus took the ship’s longboat and set out seeking help. After struggling several miles up the north coast, they ran across one of these sign posts, but when they eventually arrived at Baie-du-Renard, they found the post deserted. Oliver Godin, who manned the post, had left the previous year after his wife died, and unable to find a replacement, the government abandoned the post.
Godin returned the following spring, but it was too late for those aboard the Granicus. What exactly happened will never be known. On May 8, Captain Basile Giasson, of the Magdalen Islands sealing schooner Victory, noticed a boat, neatly hauled up on the beach, but was struck by the deadly silence. Upon further exploration, the bodies of twenty-three people, most dismembered and decapitated, were found, with clear signs of cannibalism. The Granicus log contained entries up to April 28, which spoke of the great suffering that had occurred. In June, the bodies of two men were found a few miles from the gruesome scene, and, next to them, a beam carved with the words, “What sadness, what pity.”
In October 1874, J. U. Gregory, Agent for the Department of Marine and Fisheries in Quebec, stopped at the small settlement at Baie-du-Renard with an order to take away all of its twenty families who had taken a large amount of provisions from the government’s depot the previous winter. Hailing primarily from Newfoundland, the inhabitants had been attracted to the island by the Anticosti Company, which had distributed circulars in their neighbourhood promising all things necessary for a new settlement. They had arrived at Fox Bay in the fall of 1873 only to find no houses or provisions. After subsisting on the depot supplies during the winter, the settlers had managed to cultivate cabbages, turnips, carrots, peas, and parsnips, some of which were as large as any Agent Gregory had ever seen.
The invention of the steamship allowed shipping routes to pass on the north side of Anticosti Island and through the Strait of Belle Isle, a shorter and less foggy route than its southern counterpart. The northern route had been seldom used before the twentieth century because of its narrowness, irregular soundings, and frequent icebergs.
Baie-du-Renard would be the site of many more shipwrecks, including the steamers Vandalona (1878), Brooklyn (1885), and Melbo (1897), before a lighthouse was established a few miles west at Cap-de-la-Table in 1919.
Built in 1917-1918, along with and in the same architectural design as Cap-de-Rabast and Pointe-Carleton, Cap-de-la-Table Lighthouse is a white octagonal reinforced concrete tower with a flared cornice and a red lantern. The tower stands forty feet tall from base to vane, and in 2012 its light, which produces a red flash every six seconds, had a focal plane of 112 feet and a range of five miles (When first lit, the light showed two flashes, spaced by five seconds and followed by an eclipse of ten seconds). The tower’s main decorative features are the triangular lintels over the three, vertically-aligned windows and the pedimented cap above the doorway.
The Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries announced the completion of the lighthouse:
The three light and fog alarm stations on the north shore of Anticosti Island at Cap De Rabast, Charleton Point, and Table Head, built during the war, are now in permanent operation, with the result that with their aid many vessels now pass on the north side of the island, shortening the distance between Quebec and the strait of Belle Isle, inward or outward.
The lightstation initially included a double dwelling, which was demolished in 1959-1960 and replaced by two separate residences. These residences were demolished in 2011, after having fallen into disrepair. A fog alarm plant was established at Cap-de-la-Table in 1918, and a new fog alarm building added in 1956, but the alarm has since been discontinued. When first established, the diaphone foghorn sounded two, two-and-half-second blasts, separated by five seconds and followed by six-and-half-seconds of silence. The light was automated in 1970.
Cap-de-la-Table is currently controlled by Safari-Anticosti Outfitters, who used to offer accommodations at the station to artists in exchange for works of art done on location. The resulting sculptures of stone, wood, steel and wrought iron create an interesting blend of art and nature on the lighthouse grounds.
The lighthouse was declared a Recognized Federal Heritage Building in 1990.
Keepers: A. Duchesneau (1919 - 1925), Elzéard Perry (1925 - at least 1937), Réginald Beck (1956-1961), Albert Beck (1961-1970).