First lit in 1879, the lighthouse was a wooden, octagonal tower, with its sides painted alternately red and white. The tower displayed a fixed white, eighth-order dioptric light at a focal plane of 19.5 metres above the surrounding water. In 1883, work began on a small structure adjoining the tower that had a room for the keeper to sleep in. Keeper John Messervey passed away in September of 1885, and John Fleming was appointed in his stead.
Inspector Nevill noted in 1890 that a coal store combined with a porch had been built at the station, and that the floor of the dwelling needed to be reboarded. Complaints had reached the inspector that the light at Allan’s Island was poor, and his own observations confirmed that the light was “not as good as that of similar lamps and lenses elsewhere.” The inspector concluded that Keeper Fleming was not doing his job properly and warned him to be more careful.
The octagonal tower on Allan’s Island was removed in 1916, after an iron tower and new dwelling were built at the station. The circular iron tower was painted with red and white vertical stripes to continue the station’s daymark. A fog alarm, powered by air compressed by an oil engine, was established on Allan’s Island in 1920. The signal gave two blasts every ninety seconds in this manner: three-second blast, four seconds silence, one-second blast, eighty-four seconds silence.
A square, pyramidal, thirty-foot-tall, wooden tower was built in 1953 to take the place of the iron tower. A double dwelling was also built next to the tower for the keepers at the same time. The present tower was erected around 2004. A modern structure near the tower serves as the office for the current lighthouse keeper.
Keepers: John Messervey ( - 1885), John Fleming (1885 - 1900), William Cochrane (1901 - 1912), William Cake, Lawrence Slaney, Ernest McCarthy (1915 - 1945), Adolph McCarthy(1945 - 1951).