For its first seventy-seven years, the light at Abbott’s Harbour was kept by the D’Entremont family starting with Garvaise D’Entremont in 1884. Guillame-Henri D’Entremont was responsible for the light from 1887 to 1939, and near the end of this lengthy term, he was awarded and medal in 1935 by King George V for his faithful service. Charles-Angus “Charlie” D’Entremont watched over the kerosene-fueled light from 1939 to 1961. The final keeper of the light was John Joseph Surette, who served from 1961 to 1966.
A small park, with picnic tables and benches, was created around the Abbott’s Harbour Lighthouse by members of the West Pubnico Historical Society in 1990. This proved to be a popular spot for locals and visitors, but by that time, the beacon had been discontinued, and the park was actually on private land.
To ensure the long-term preservation of the lighthouse, its lantern room was removed, and on June 24, 2004 the tower was cut into two sections, loaded onto a flatbed truck, and relocated to the grounds of the Historical Acadian Village of Nova Scotia in Lower West Pubnico. The traveling lighthouse has almost certainly found a permanent home, and what better place could there be to learn about the history of the lighthouse than at a museum.