Port George Lighthouse was built in 1888 and was originally positioned at the outer end of the town's eastern pier. In the early 1930s, the tower was relocated to the roadside as the pier had become unstable.
The white wooden pepper-shaker tower is 7.6 meters high with a red roof and railing. Ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the Port George District Lighthouse Society in May of 2002.
The first keeper of the lighthouse was John McAndrew. George Foster was serving as the keeper in 1897.
- Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries, various years.
- Lighthouses & Lights of Nova Scotia, E.H. Rip Irwin, 2003.