A white, square, wooden, pyramidal tower
, surmounted by a red lantern was established on the eastern side of the entrance to English Harbour West in 1921. The light was one of eight Acetylene gas, self-controlled lights erected that year, and it would give sixteen flashes every minute at a focal plane of 13.7 metres.
Today, a flashing red light is shown from atop what the Canadian Coast Guard describes as a square mast, with a red and white square daymark. The modern light has the same focal plane as its predecessor.