In this 1922 photograph of the lighthouse, note that only the seaward facing side of the lantern room was equipped with glass panes.
The lighthouse has been used as an aid for inshore fishery and coastal navigation, when the coastal boats visited Westport. The tower's fixed white light operated on kerosene oil until 1969, when it was converted to solar power. The light's signature today is a white flash every four seconds. Four keepers minded the lighthouse from 1906 to 1989, and the Coast Guard is responsible for its maintenance today.
Keepers: J. Pearce (1906 - at least 1912), Cecil Jacobs.