The first Cape Sharp Lighthouse was a square white wooden tower, thirty-four feet tall, attached to a two-story dwelling and went into service on November 1, 1886 with Robert J. Ward as its keeper. A sixth-order lens was used in the lantern room to produce a fixed red light that could be seen from a distance of ten miles.
On March 1, 1904, a fog signal was activated at Cape Sharp that gave blasts of 3 ½ seconds duration every minute. Built under contract by A. H. Dyer of Parrsboro for $1,307, the fog alarm building was a rectangular wooden structure with a red roof and was located 225 feet from the lighthouse with a horn projecting from its seaward face at an elevation of forty-five feet above high water mark. The Canadian Fog Signal of Toronto supplied the machinery for $2,400.
The present lighthouse, a pepper-shaker-style white tower with a red lantern room, was constructed in 1973 along with a dwelling for the keeper, who at that time was Victor Elliott. Victor and his wife Betty served for around twenty years at Cape Sharp. Kevin Harvey took charge of the light from Victor Elliott in 1985 and remained at the station until it was destaffed in 1988. Johnson McPhee of Parrsboro purchased the keeper's dwelling, cut it in half, and hauled it up over Cape Split Road. The home is now located on West Bay Road, roughly two kilometres west of the Ottawa House.
Head Keepers: Robert J. Ward (1886 1893), Elisha Phinney (1893 1902), Freeman Yorke (1902 1913), J.E. George (1913 - 1926), G.E. George (1926 1927), R.E. George (1927 1935), C.M. George (1935 1936), Norman Morton Durrant (1936 1954), Albert Stanley Green (1963 ), Victor Elliott (1965 1985), Kevin Harvey (1985 1988).