The Trenton Range Lights were first established in 1920 as unwatched pole lights to guide ships up the East River at Trenton toward New Glasgow. The original front range light was fueled by acetylene gas, while its companion rear range light was electric.
The present wooden pyramidal structure that serves as the front range light was erected in 1962 and served in conjunction with a steel square tower operating as the rear light. The pair of lights originally bore diamond-shaped daymarks, but these were changed to vertical red stripes in 1986.
The adjacent power plant burns 3.5 million tons of coal each year and produces enough electricity to power nearly 100,000 homes.