Benjamin Smith only served as keeper for a few months, as Zebud Mullins was made responsible for the light in April of 1874. Authorities realized that a companion light could be used with the Mullins Point Lighthouse to help vessels avoid Oak Island Bar and safely navigate the channel leading to Wallace Harbour. Keeper Mullins’ personal residence just happened to be properly aligned with the lighthouse, and he agreed to allow a red light to be exhibited from a window in his home to serve as the rear range light. For the use of his home and the extra effort required to maintain two lights, Mullins’ annual salary was raised from $100 to $150.
This arrangement worked well until Zebud Mullins passed away in 1892. The Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for 1893 details the situation.
A lamp in the window of the dwelling-house of the late keeper at this station had been utilized as a back range light, but last year a change in the keepership was made and the owner of the dwelling-house refused to allow the old arrangement to continue: it consequently became necessary to provide a new back range tower, and in connection with that it was deemed advisable to provide a dwelling-house for the new light-keeper.
Tenders have been received for the necessary building, and a contract will immediately be awarded so that the new light may be in operation early next season. In the interval a temporary light from a pole has been maintained.
The still standing Mullins Point Lighthouse, a combination dwelling and light tower, was the structure that was built in 1894 to serve as the rear range light and residence for the keeper. The tower, centered atop the one-and-a-half-story dwelling’s gabled hip roof, rises to a height of forty-eight feet and provided a focal plane of eighty-two feet for the rear range light. The structure was built by Daniel McDonald of Pictou at a cost of $1,507, which included relocating the oil house from the old site.
In 1965, the range lights were unmanned after the wooden range lights were replaced by steel skeleton towers. Mr. and Mrs. John Sproul purchased the combination dwelling/tower and moved it roughly 1.5 km along the shore from its original location. The Mullins Point Lighthouse continues to be used as a private residence.
Keepers: James Mullins ( – 1939), John Damien Langille (1940), Herbert L. LeBlanc (1940 – 1945), Kathleen B. LeBlanc (1945 – 1948), Albert Stanley Green (1949 – 1963).